Hans van Leeuwen
Hans (J.P.T.M.) van Leeuwen studied biology in Amsterdam, and did his PhD study on the mechanism of action of PTH in Leiden, The Netherlands. Currently he is Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and Member Executive Board Erasmus University Medical Center. He is professor of Calcium and Bone Metabolism with specific research focus on regenerative medicine with emphasis on control of mesenchymal stem cell and osteoblast differentiation, on the impact of bone metabolism on hematopoietic stem cell control and tumor cell metastasis, and on aging and calcium and bone homeostasis. Other previous and current functions and additional information:
• Director of Research and Education of Erasmus University Medical Center
• Council member of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
• Board member of the Advances in Mineral Metabolism
• Member of the Executive Board of the European Calcified Tissue Society.
• Served on the board of numerous scientific, academic committees and grant-awarding bodies.
• Served on over 35 organizing and program committees of national and international scientific meetings within as well as outside the bone field.
• Initiated the genetics of osteoporosis research program at the Erasmus University Medical Center.
• Published over 210 peer reviewed papers and 25 book chapters.
• Founder of the biotech companies Therosteon and Arcarios BV.
• Initiated a GRID computing program in collaboration with the RABO bank.
• Obtained about 40 Dutch, EU and industrial research grants
topics at international meetings.