1. Medicinal Chemist/Senior Scientist
Scenic Biotech is now looking for a Medicinal Chemist to support multiple drug discovery programs
As a successful candidate you are responsible for the medicinal chemistry aspects of our main drug discovery project and will be driving the chemistry efforts for our novel drug discovery programs. You are able to assess chemical tractability of compounds for drug discovery, design molecules, work out and troubleshoot their synthesis pathways and quality control. You are able to effectively communicate those in interactions with CROs where most of the lab work will be performed.
You are experienced to iteratively design better molecules based on results from DMPK assays and generally steer compound development programs towards success. You work in a structured way, you can manage and organize large amounts of data in ways that ensure IP protection, smooth information exchange and gaining high-level overviews, and you are comfortable with presenting medicinal chemistry information to multi-disciplinary teams. You have experience in drug discovery programs, preferably in a biotech/pharma setting.
Responsibilities and abilities
• Be the driving force behind development of chemical matter in drug discovery programs, maintain the overview and actively interact with all contributors to that project;
• Responsible for designing and synthesizing (through CROs) of novel molecules and interpret data of relevant DMPK assays to apply in improvement cycles of the chemistry;
• Engage with Contract Research Organizations (CROs) and monitor and manage their work, analyze the results, and propose next steps;
• Generate regular reports on project progress, including timelines and budget implications in case of project deviations;
• Generate figures, slide decks and reports for internal and external use;
• Ability to create understanding of cellular disease mechanism of interest.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in relevant subject with 3+ additional years of research experience in a research environment;
• 3+ years of experience in drug discovery programs in biotech/pharma environment;
• Proven track record of success and creativity (for example as illustrated by a strong publication or patent record or a significant contribution to (pre)clinical success);
• Extensive experience with DMPK assays is an advantage and/or an eagerness to learn about DMPK;
• Experience with the outsourcing of research activities is an advantage, as is experience with protecting IP surrounding small molecule programs.
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting your own targets;
• Excellent analytical and data management skills combined with a creative problem-solving mindset;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards;
• Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse topics relevant to human disease;
• Affinity to work in a high paced start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and changes of direction and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English, written and spoken, Dutch not required.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• Attention for personal development;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company.
About Scenic Biotech
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
Are you our new team member?
If this vacancy is the perfect next step in your career, please send your resume and cover letter before October 3rd, 2020 to email@example.com attn. Hannah Wensink (Recruiter). Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.1) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.