2. Senior Scientist driving a new target discovery project
We are in the process of initiating a new project focused on finding modifiers for several neuropathologically-relevant phenotypes. A team of 2-4 fte will work together to realize the goals of this project. We are looking for a Senior Scientist who is able to manage this project in combination with lab work. You will be responsible for (parts of) the conception, design and the day to day execution of this project. You are able to set and plan according to timelines and work together with others to achieve milestones and predetermined deliverables. You will spend most time planning, executing, analyzing and reporting on experiments.
• Independently plan and execute a defined research project;
• Maintaining the overview of the project and manage all involved participants and generate scientific data through performing wet-lab experiments;
• Responsible for scientific data generation within the project through performing experiments, and, in time, managing research associates and scientists;
• Generation of figures, slide decks and reports for internal and external use;
• Generation of regular reports on project progress and present at internal science meetings;
• Maintaining communication with the external collaboration partner;
• Conceiving and performing wet lab experiments;
• Function as the internal subject matter expert on the disease/research area(s) that you are working on, pro-actively seeking, collating and archiving relevant information;
• Developing and evaluating novel disease models and/or assays for target discovery and development;
• You are able to:
– Iterate through hypotheses generation on biological mechanisms, experimental design to (dis)-prove these and analyze results in larger biological context;
– Process literature efficiently to gain expertise in relevant disease-related processes.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in life science field, such as medical biology, biology or a similar field and 3+ additional years of research experience in a biomedical research environment;
• Broad understanding of cellular disease mechanisms;
• Expertise in neurobiology and the cellular mechanisms underlying neurological diseases is an advantage;
• Proven track record of success and creativity (for example as illustrated by a strong publication or patent record or a significant contribution to (pre)clinical success);
• Experience with the management of collaborations or outsourcing of research activities;
• Experience in biotech/pharma is an advantage.
• Able to communicate scientific data in a clear and concise manner to a broad audience;
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting your own targets;
• Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse biological topics relevant to human disease;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English. Dutch not required;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards;
• Excellent project management skills;
• Ability to develop a clear work plan;
• Affinity to work in a high paced start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and changes of direction and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• Attention for personal development;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company, and attention for personal development.
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
If this vacancy is the perfect next step in your career, please send your resume and cover letter before October 10th, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org attn. Hannah Wensink (Recruiter). Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.2) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.