Business Development Manager Cryo-EM for Pharma
Over the last years, academic achievements have shown tremendous potential for cryo-EM for drug discovery. The academic achievements for the cryo-EM methodology have been awarded with the Nobel prize for Chemistry to Jacques Dubochet, Richard Henderson and Joachim Frank in 2017. The purpose of the job of Business Development Manager Pharma is to develop Thermo Fisher’s cryo-electron microscopy (Cryo-EM) business in the pharmaceutical industry.
The Business Development Manager will devise a strategy for the most promising pharma segments, understand their requirements for adopting cryo-EM, and match that with a successful value proposition. He/she will work with the sales division towards a successful approach of new customers in each of the segments. One of the key challenges is getting a good overview of the current position of the major pharma companies towards cryo-EM, and understand their bottlenecks to step into cryo-EM. Assessing regional differences, or company specific differences is part of that challenge.
The Business Development role interacts closely with Sales, Marketing, Product Management, and Application Specialists. As cryo-EM creates new capabilities for the drug discovery process, it’s truly creating a new market. The entry into pharmaceutical companies is supported by Thermo Fisher good business relationships with the major pharma companies.
The Business Development role is a truly global role. Nearly all of the large pharmaceutical companies are global players with R&D centers across the globe. Small and medium biotech companies are located on all continents, as are Contract Research Organizations of all sizes. It makes the job both highly international as well as highly diverse.
Roles and responsibilities
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for:
Develop collateral materials and training sales – Develop materials to support the sales division in approaching new customers, training the sales division how to position the available solutions, and bring across the value proposition.
Business development events – Organize and/or support the organization of marketing campaigns, events, user group meeting, customer visits, conferences, in order to generate and nurture leads
Tracking and monitoring – Track and monitor the adoption of cryo-EM in each of the market segments and regions, co-ordinate with the sales division on targets and plans, manage and adjust accordingly. Identify, document and communicate to all stakeholders.
Market trends – Analyze market trends in the pharmaceutical industry, and develop a strategy to adjust to these trends.
Manage relationships with internal stakeholders, oversee cross-functional teams, work closely with Sales, Service, Product Management, to ensure that the pharmaceutical industry adopts the appropriate cryo-EM solutions that deliver exceptional customer value while achieving the financial targets.
This position is ideal for a candidate who has experience in the pharmaceutical industry, especially in the early drug discovery process. The successful candidate is an experienced professional who thrives in a dynamic team, can drive market development and enjoys being exposed to a constant variety of complex issues that need to be resolved. He/she is a great networker with strong influencing skills.
University degree in a relevant scientific field and/or University degree in Business Administration
- Experience in the early drug discovery process, and a deep understanding of the complexities of interacting disciplines in that process. A good understanding of the decision points in drug discovery, and how various disciplines contribute.
- Multiple years of experience in marketing, product management, business development or technical sales of high-value scientific capital equipment
- Understanding of the various aspects of new technology adoption
- Experience in interacting with demanding customer groups, and the large variety of stakeholders involved in the decision processes
- Proven experience in business development, developing business cases, successful management of objectives.
- (Management) Skills
- The ability to translate the requirements of identified market segment into a value proposal, and convincing collateral materials
- The ability to drive sales and sales development to venture into new territory.
- The ability to interact with a large number of different stakeholders, and balancing their needs while achieving financial targets
- Excellent communication ability (both written and verbal) and influencing skills including the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences is critical to the success in this position
- Successful candidate has a strong drive for results and an ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites
- Willing and able to travel internationally (up to 50%)